Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend accomplishments....


The windows in our living and dining room are probably from 1900. They are single pane, weight and pulley, with storms that latch on from the outside in a less than -air-tight way (hook and eyes!). Essentially they will just be 7 large sieves for heat loss in the winter.

During tax free weekend I had Horner Millwork come out and specify replacement windows, but at about $800 a window (not including labor) we decided that we could really only handle the living room's 4 windows for now. So what to do about the bay in the dining room? I hate the look of that plastic wrap stuff people put in to help insulate - although we will probably end up using it upstairs on the sleeping porch, as the door to the porch is an interior door and has no insulating properties. But I really didn't want to spend Thanksgiving staring at some crinkly plastic.

I found some thermal Roman shades online at Country Curtains, and went to work. Other than my vertical challenges, and removing three stripped screws from existing hardware, they were fairly easy to install. They look about a million times better than the dirty old roller shades, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment