Friday, August 19, 2011

Small projects, many trips to Home Depot.


With a housewarming party date set, I've been working like crazy to get the house 'ready' for everyone to see.


Last weekend I primed and painted the bathroom to cover up the water stains from the third floor leak. There are some spots in the drywall that have cracked, that I probably should have sanded and filled but I was afraid that once I started I would get myself into a position where I'd need to replace some of the drywall rather than patch. So many unknowns in DIY. I've done a lot of fishing around on the internet but sometimes the list of tools and the 47 steps scare me off.

I also got over my fear of drilling into the wall and electrocuting myself and managed to install the towel ring so that we no longer have to partially close the door to access a hand towel. I learned the hard way that the sink is not a good place to lay out the tools you need, as I lost the set screw to my hungry pedestal drain. Hell, I learned what a set screw is.

Last project in the bathroom is to clean all the heavily stained grout from the water damage. i tried the home remedies first - baking soda, vinegar. Nothing. I used a Magic Eraser - nothing. I polled the Twitter-verse and was advised to use Soft Scrub with bleach followed by a grout pen. This combo seems to be getting somewhere slowly. I'm on my 4th application (I literally apply it before brushing my teeth at night and in the morning)and although not magical it is at least fading the rusty brown.

Next project: Roman Shades in the Dining Room.....

No comments:

Post a Comment