Sunday, August 21, 2011

Landscaping - %$^$#%$@^#@!


So here we have the 'before'. I did not take the picture in black and white for dramatic effects (actually was holding my iced soy latte in one hand making it difficult to reset the color). Lovely view of my neighbors ladder and some other junk.

Went online to research what to plant in August and went to Allandale Farm to pick up some plants. There I was asked a hundred questions I didn't know the answers to like "what kind of soil do you have" (umm, the dirt kind?) "How many hours of sun will you get?" etc etc. Picked up a hydrangea, and then a couple other flowering perennials, two sacks of manure and one large sack of Maine's finest soil.

Then came the grueling work of removing the grass, rocks and roots with a pitchfork. My neighbor came out in the yard, took one look at the dirty, sweaty, red-faced mess I was (and in flip flops no less) and produced a roto-tiller. He then proceeded to do in about 10 minutes twice the work my mother and I had completed in an hour or so. We mixed in the manure and top soil and planted and voila:

Ok, so I wish the results were more dramatic. I need to edge the garden today, plant some mums and maybe something in the back for height. Then mulch. Baby steps, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment